Thursday, October 28, 2004

There's this peice for wind orchestra called "Raga" that is rather occupying my thoughts.
When I decided to go into composition up on campus it was primarily to write music for concert bands.
My original intention was to get my bachelor's then pursue a masters and a doctorate in composition.
I would aim to be an independent composer of concert band music and small ensemble works, with a doctorate to fall back on and (with any luck) a teaching job some where...
That's what I had originally planned.
I have written one piece for concert band, a fool piece, very energetic sporadict piece about ten minutes long.
There are things in that piece that would give a conductor a headache: duplets in 6/8 time that keep switching back and forth. Mixed meter up the wazoo. Yeah things I like to do.
Sudden tempo shifts.
"Raga" is like a piece I would want to write for band, it's not as choatic or seemingly random, but it has the sound I like, the chord progressions if you will.
It uses alot of large range gaps between the instruments.
The piece I consider my best work thus far is my "trumpet sonata". When it goes back into the fast section after the long slow meloncholic section the piano takes off.
It's very cool and very intense... only the midi version, which sounds like a real piano, doesn't have the same volume as a real piano or the same presence.
When I listen to that piece and I get to that section, I get an intense feeling of satisfaction, the last minute of the Trumpet sonata is personally very satisfying.
"Raga" gives me that same feeling, the last minute.
I could tell you about all the cool things in both peices. I could point things out to all of you, why I like it, what makes the pieces cool.
But I would hope you would want to discover it on your own, I'd like every single one of you to have the same satisfaction when listening to them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home