Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Gen, I'm sad to see your blog go.
I hope you reconsider, but I can understand privacy issues.

As for me, well I'm gruntled.
The sun is shiny, and I think the tempeture may just climb above the freezing point today.
I hope so.
The dreary days of winter have worn me thin.
My pactience with it has all but dissappeared with the weather.
I'm keen on bland weather myself, these extremes just don't settle well with me.
Give me daytime temputures in the low seventies, nighttime temputures in the mid fifties, partly cloudy five days a week with rain twice a week and I'll be happy.
The cold of utah winters, just doesn't sit well any more, nor the summers, Vegas is going to afflict me so when I venture down that way.
I've got two days off of rehearsals this week, tomorrow and friday (well the weekend too, but I don't usually count the weekend).
I'm at a loss of what to do.

I've gotten weary of religion.
I've decided heaven, if such a place exsists, is a place where religion isn't continually thrust into one's face, nor flaunted as a status symbol.
Admittedly as religions go, the LDS is one of the more polite ones: they don't throw insults or threats of hell at people they know aren't LDS.
That's nice.
I couldn't handle the south, I get a taste of the bible thumping rants from relatives of mine when I happen to go to family reunions.
To be continually bombarded with it would drive me nuts, then again, I'd probably be inclined to retaliate then.
It's something I don't do with LDS folks, that is retaliate. Typically because they are polite, if not a little smug and patronizing.
It's something easy to do when you believe you have the monopoly on truth.
And the abstract idea that you might be wrong is oft times hard to wrap your head around.
Not that it matters.
I know many LDS folks who are content to let me live my life, in fact they're happy to know me, and aren't seeking to actively change me.
I appreciate and respect that.
I have some LDS friends, who while happy to know me, and be my friend, want to change me, and convert me.
They're not overtly active in doing so, but sometime's their suggestions and hints are none too subtle.
I have encountered many LDS folks, who give me the impression of pity, while at the same time looking down upon me.
Those are the ones who rankle my feathers.
Those are the ones who make me angry.
The point of this isn't to get into a doctorinal or religious debate on what is correct and true.
But to point out that this sort of smugness and condescending attitude is not indicative to people who are at peace with the truth in their lives.
Now on that hand, non-lds folks aren't typically polite and understanding either.
They tend to moody and defensive most of the time, lashing out occasionally with insults and anger.
This isn't excusable behavior, despite the fact that it is typically in response to the type of LDS church members listed above.
The gap between non-lds, and lds people here in utah has been talked about with some scrutiny.
There is anger and resentment on both sides of the equation.
There isn't an easy answer to the problem, especcially when one side feels justified by their faith in their attitudes.
Bridging such gaps are easier said then done.

(any comments you might have, either the regular or casual reader send to lojakz@yahoo.com )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home