Tuesday, February 08, 2005

So yeah. Didn't watch the superbowl.
I know I'm only one of about five people in the country who didn't.
But I'm ok with that.
I don't like football.
WHAT?!
Yeah that's right, don't like the game.
Oh I understand it; i know how first downs work, and the line of scrimage and all of that.
It's not rocket science.
It's just goddamn boring, or at least it is to me.
I don't begrudge those who watch football, I've got nephews who rave about the game.
I just don't partake.

So the ten minute shows are done.
They varied from excellent, to ok.
The one I was in turned out good, despite the incredible dancing bear on stage.
I picked up another script Saturday night. I shouldn't have because I've got alot on my plate, but it's such a great script.
It's called Last Tuesday, it's about five people on a subway car a week after 9 11.
The way the playwright sets the dialogue up and the impact of the last few moments really grabbed me.
The coversations are overlapping and the characters are nothing more than numbers.
1, which is the part I'm playing, is a bussiness man on his way home from work, he spend nearly the entire play on his cell phone to his wife.
2, is a young woman trying to read a book (she doesn't say much)
3 and 4 are a couple discovering that the man is probably cheating on his wife.
and 5 reads the newspaper, which has the headlines recorded and pop up during the scene.
number 6 is the train conductor, and she appears periodically.
The final character is a young boy who appears bedraggled and forlorn. Injured from something, who sings a haunting melody before leaving.
There isn't much movement.
We're all seated, which by itself can get boring.
Until you factor in the dialogue.
Lines begin in the middle of other lines, are started and spoke at the same time.
There are so many things going on with the dialogue, the audience will have to choose what to focus on.
It's trully a kickass script and well worth a look for those of you who are into such things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home