Thursday, September 30, 2004

I know what your talking about Bruce. The fall doesn't bring it on for me (despite the indication of my post yesterday), I do get mildly depressed in the winter though.
Today is different, today I'm in a good mood.
I've got some SunkistR to drink, that makes me glad. I've got a little bit of cash in my pocket.
I'm looking forward to the weekend, where I don't have to go into work on Saturday unless I want to. (I probably will for a couple of hours).
And despite the completely shitty rehearsal we had last night for the show, I'm happy with it. (Just hope tonight goes significantly better).
Yes today I'm very gruntled.

Ahh, Wyrd I can share in at least part of your pain on loss. The painful numbness eventually went away for me. My father is a memory, a very pleasant memory. I'm not going to say I don't miss him. I do. But it's been along time since his passing now, and when I think of him now, I think of him fondly, remembering his antics and his humor. I don't have any advice for you really. I don't know the full situation of what your going through or struggling with. I will say though that its important that you remember. As for your other situation... I'm poor at offering advice on that topic, so i'm not going to. Partly for the lack of knowledge, partly for some stinging of the heart that it causes for me to think on that. It's often difficult to do what we know is right, because it hurts us.

I'm listening to "Jabba's Theme" from Return of the Jedee. The sweet sound of tuba, up and down. Next to the french horn it has the largest range of the brass. A good tubist can clear five octaves on the instrument, from low C (this is three octaves below middle) to the C an octave above middle, that is unless it is a Bb horn, then that's Bb not C. IN my prime on the instrument I could do about four octaves, though the upper octaves were a struggle. The way brass instruments work is on the principle of harmonics. In the higher registers the harmonics get really close together so close in fact that no valves are required to go up in down in scale, just subtle changes of the lips. That's tough. The french horn is about a five octave instrument also, the low note is about 1 1/2 octaves above the tubas, the high note the same distance. You don't see alot of writing for the french horn in the outer extremities of its range, it's not a pleasant sound really. Excellent and superior trombones and trumpets can clear four octaves on their horns, bass trombonist can hit five.
When orchestrating for the brass, you have to remember the strong and weak points of each instrument: Tuba's not going to be heard well in the extreme low register, double with the bass bone an octave above, or tenor bones two octaves. Tenor trombones get real brassy (they all do really) in the higher registers. Be careful of shrill high notes in the trumpets. Also watch out for shrill notes in the french horns, they occur at a much lower pitch in the horns than they do in the trumpets. For a warm sound, group the harmonies together in the lower or mid registers. For a brighter sound, drop the bass instruments (easiest) and use the Trumpets and 1st and 3rd horns in the upper registers, the 1st and 2nd bones and the 2nd and 4th horns for the bass in their mid registers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home