Thursday, August 23, 2012

With all the recent gun violence there has been a call for stricter gun laws. People on the left side of the aisle are saying we need to ban some, most or even all guns, or at the very minimum make the process of aquiring guns legally more difficult. People on the right side of the aisle say that the gun laws are already strict enough, or even too strict and to continue clamping down would only make it so the criminals are the ones with the guns.

Where's my stance?

Well I'm glad you asked because that's what this blog post is about.

First off, I am neither a hunter nor a gun enthusiast. I do enjoy shooting guns on occasion and was raised in a household where guns were present and well respected, I myself have no real use for guns. My father told me on a number of occasions that you should hunt if you need to, and never go to waste what you kill. That being said, I never really enjoyed hunting. Sure there was a bit of thrill when the quarry was sited and the trigger was pulled, but I only ever accompanied my dad on a few of his hunts and never actually wielded the gun myself. I'm too tenderhearted I guess.

That being said, I am not going to call for the banning of guns, or necessary further restrictions. I do think that mental health professionals should have the means to better alert the system to potential dangerous patients, as the last few (and by few, read most) of the shooters in the last several years were obviously deranged and several of them were in treatment at one point or another for mental issues.

Now that being said I don't take the stance that guns are just a tool and guns don't kill people, people do. That's ridiculous, guns are certainly a tool, but they serve one singular function and that is to kill things. While I don't want to see the government come in and take away individuals gun collections I do know that those gun collections have only one purpose and to say otherwise is completely dishonest.

There is also a disconnect I think, the biggest gun advocates are Christians. I find that odd that those that would be in favor of a deadly weapon would also be followers of a man who devoted his life to peace, never carried a weapon himself and told his followers to turn the other cheek, which quite literally meant if somebody caused you harm forgive them and allow them to continue if they must. On that same note the Christian churches have a history of violence, most notably the crusades that lasted two and a half centuries, so perhaps the disconnect isn't as apparent as I think it is.

As for me. Sure there's a security issue. Guns do give people the sense of protection they need, I personally do not want that. I try and walk the path of peace, sure I may jokingly threaten to punch or kick somebody, but it is mostly just that, a joke. I'd even be willing to throw punches at this stage if need be, but I hope that someday soon even that urge dissipates.

So while I'm not a gun control advocate, I can not be said to be an advocate for guns either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home