Sunday, August 05, 2012

A day like today.

There are days when I have little hope for humanity. Child and animal abuse, drug cartels beating people to death with baseball bats and then dismembering them, child soldiers in Africa, mass executions and civil war in the middle east. Murder, rape, dismemberment.

Yeah, it's pretty fucking bleak.

Before you ask, no I'm not depressed. I'm tired, but in a decent mood overall. But there are days when I have little hope for humanity.

Then there are days when I do have hope. Today, despite my intro, is one of those days. One year ago two of the greatest people I know got married. They're not perfect, don't get the idea of high praise from me means perfection, they like all of us have their flaws, but they give me a bit of hope. I don't see many people who are married (even happily married) and think to myself "those two being together is better for the world" maybe 2 couples now. Nobody I'm related to by blood. These kids, the two that were married a year ago on this day are one of those couples.

They compliment each other beautifully. They bring out the best in each other, and when they are together they can bring out the best in those around them. How does that work? How can two people do that? They both work with people who have special needs and they love it. It's wonderful.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have friends that I love to be around. Friends who expand my mind with their mere presence. Friends that I can bounce ideas off of and come up with something fantastic. That's the beauty of having creative friends. That being said, usually when a significant other is around it all goes away, or greatly diminishes. Not so with these kids.

Now for myself. I'm what I am. Nothing more, nothing less. I can be observant, wise perhaps at times, others iconoclastic. I don't seek companionship. Sex occasionally, but who doesn't? What I desire most out of life is contentment. I think Tom and Anna have that. If it's possible to have contentment  with another person, then perhaps someday.

But not today.

They also just had a baby. Couldn't ask for better parents.

Here's a challenge for you, all of you couples: Ask yourself these questions: Do you and your partner compliment and bring out the best in each other?
Do you and your partner bring out the best in those around you when you're together?

Think on that a while.

Happy Anniversary Tom and Anna!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home