Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm a gamer.

Boardgames. Tabletop roleplaying games, Computer games. I love games. I love to play games. I love to read about games. I love to read about the HISTORY of games.

Yes. I'm that big of a geek.

I find the history of gaming fasinating. Don't ask me why. Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax coming up with D&D. Nollan Bushnell coming up with Atari. H. G. Wells coming up with Little Wars. This stuff fasinates me, and I will read a blog post of an interview with Larry Elmore, or Jeff Grub and be as enthralled as I would be watching my favorite movie. I've never given much though as to the why's and wherefores of my fascination with all things gaming.

And oh man is there a lot.

There is of course the big three categories (lumping card games in with board games simply because it's simplier that way). But each big category has a ton of nitpicky smaller categories to go with it.

Board games/Card games can be divided into Euro games, Ameri-trash games, further divided into strategy, worker placement, roll and move, push your luck, bidding, family, war, party... the list goes on you can start trimming each of those categories (which might honestly hold some of the other categories mentioned with in). I love strategy games, as well as some Ameri-trash (games with lots of components and some random mechanics) I do like a variety of card games as well, my new favorites are deck builders: card games where you build your deck out of a central pool of cards everybody has access too.

Video games of course have their categories. Roleplaying, first person shooters, platformers, sports games, racing games, fighting games, action games... the list goes on. Person I like roleplaying, platformers some action and strategy with point and click adventures becoming something of a new favorite.

Now RPG's, of course there's sci-fi and fantasy and horror. There's also old west rpgs, spy vs. spy rpgs, bizarre rpgs based off of cartoons (specifically one called Toon). Most use dice as a randomizer though some use cards, others use specialized dice (beyond the funny polyhedral shapes), while a few are dice-less and are elaborate shared stories or even acting exercises depending on the game. I love fantasy, D&D was the old stand by. I play Pathfinder now, which is essentially D&D in a different package. I also love Star Wars. For horror, well I'm a old timer and nothing can beat Call of Cthulhu.

I don't play games as much as I'd like. Part of it is finding people to play with. Though I do have a handful of games that I can play solitaire which is pretty awesome. I do run a pseudo-bimonthly Pathfinder game which is a good deal of fun at times. I do futz around with video games as well. I lack motivation though. How the hell does one lack motivation to play games? Well.. I don't have an answer but as dumb as it is it is true.

That being said. Games will probably come up frequently on this new revitalized blog. I have a lot I can review. I have suggestions to throw out for those with questions and I want suggestions from those who also enjoy playing games, any kind of game. I do tend towards older games when it comes to video games, but other than that....
Game on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home