Saturday, June 18, 2005

FRANKS GEEKDOM SATURDAY...PART 1

Well I have to admit, I'm surprised. I didn't even intend to write at length about this 1) because Tom is better equipped than I am to do so, and 2) I figured he'd have written something by now. But two days have gone by since we both saw the film, and nothing has appeared yet, i feel compelled.

BATMAN BEGINS.
How many of you have seen this yet?
If you haven't, you need too. If you are a lover of the comic books, if you enjoy the first two batmans made in the late eighties early nineties, if you just like well put together movies, you need to see this one.
WOW!
It is, by far the best movie I've seen this summer.
It's by far the bets movie I've seen since Sincity, and even surpasses that one.
It's a solid movie that doesn't play off the character of Batman and Bruce Wayne as comical.
It explains things, quite well.
But more important than giving us the origin of Batman, or the how, it gives us the why too.
But what is lovely is it gives us more than that.
It shows the evolution of Jim Gordon. It shows us the path he takes to become who it is he becomes.
It shows us the transformation of the Scarecrow, who is a brilliant villain to start out with.
It gives us the reason why Bruce Wayne owns the company, which is more than simply 'his father owned it before him'.
It shows why (and this is one of the coolest aspects though it is short) all the criminals have escaped from Arkham Asylum.
It is a movie that doesn't just give the how and where fors, but also the reasons behind them.
The coolest aspect of the film however is Gotham City.
Finally.
Finally a real city populated by real people. Not the cartoonish, gothic over the top farce that became the norm during the 1990's blaise fair that besmirched the dark knights name.
It looks habitated. The buildings are realistic. The population is realistic.
It makes the movie that much darker, it gives it the edge that was missing.
I could rave about the acting, but I won't do that here.
Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes and Cillian Murphy, (who I placed Tom, he's the lead actor in 28 Days Later)... all strong actors.
No, forget what you knew about Batman.
This movie is a reset button.
None of those other films need exsist now.

2 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will concur. I'm not much of a Batman fan, but my expirience with the character only goes as far as the movies I've seen him in. Which is, sorry to say, poor at best. I never liked Tim Burton's Batman, and all of the others kind of went down-hill from there. He was always upstaged by the villians or women in the show. This movie was about him! I was pleasantly surprised by that

S.VII

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Almighty One said...

I can't wait to see it. I've heard nothing but good things. Besides,
"I'm Batman"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home