Tuesday, October 21, 2003

So here we are. I read Joels blog, and I've been thinking about what he and Nigel (I believe that's the correct spelling Teej) said about Rush and TOOL. I think the almost hit the nail on the head. Rush was able to take rock from it's blues roots (along with a few other fantastic prog-rock bands from that era, namely Yes, but to some extent Kansas, Pink Floyd, Genesis) and really give it a 'classical' or 'art music' feel. The eighties saw bands like Styxxx and Dream Theatre carry on the idea. What sets TOOL apart is that they took this idea of prog-rock and put with death metal. The made it legitimate for radio play, albiet only on certain stations, and people have fallen in love with the idea of it again. Now I can see T.J.'s point. Rush and TOOL only have the idea of prog-rock in common. I doubt very highly that Rush had any influence on the band members of TOOL (I've read enough articles on line about TOOL and interviews to feel confidant in that statement). But given the wide gash of differences, both bands are highly talented: excelent drummers, excellent guitarists, I will have to agree Maynards a much better singer, though I do like Geddy's effiminate scratchy voice.

So in essence I like the ideas put for by "The Other Joel" and I concur.

Oh and Teej, I'm not scared of you coming to skin or mutilate any thing, because I know you fear me... You know this too. Just imagine what I'm doing with my digits right now and tremble..... tremble... I have the finger Teej and don't you forget.

"Awright, 'ow's bout a nice poke to de bumb?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home