Saturday, July 12, 2003

So I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I had resisted reading this book for quite some time, mostly because of all those people who displayed shock and dismay that I hadn't read, and also a little prejuidice. Almost all the people who told me to read it were LDS, and knowing that Card himself was also LDS it forced me to be a little reluctant. Why? Because I understand the bias. Any group will want to take pride in thier own members accomplishments and praise those accomplishments, but the group always has a slanted view of the individual. I know, I know; Card is an acclaimed novelist, nationally and internationally. So my reluctant prejuidice had no real standing other than the two things I've mentioned. I also knew that I would break down and eventually read the book because there was something compelling to what I knew about it. I just had to do it on my own time, which I did. I read the book in a day, and yes I enjoyed it greatly. Card deserves the praise he has gotten, I figured he probably did, but now I know. Now I don't know whether to go ahead with the second book or go back to the other three books I was reading before.

The three other books are all quite different reads from both "Ender's Game" and each other. One is Suetonious' "The Twelve Cesaers." It is a book detailing the rise and fall of each of the first twelve cesaers (go figure), the other is Wittgensteins "Philisophical Grammar." This is a fun one. Ol Witt, is talking about logical grammar through language games and the understanding of it on a basic level. (Which is extremely hard to get too surprisingly). And finally "Bonfire of the Vanities." A book about corrupt rich players of the stock and finance markets in New York City at the end of the eighties. I'm only about 60 pages into it, so I'm not sure of the whole gist of it, and no I haven't seen the movie. I'll let you know what I decided. Until then I'll put "Ender's Game" on the shelf with my Frank Herbert and Stephen R. Donaldson novels and let them ooze science fiction polyps at each other until I'm ready to pick them up again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home