Wednesday, July 09, 2003

For those of you who are reading who know me yet have been out of touch I feel there needs to be a little background. I live in a little town nestled in the north of Utah named Logan. It's a very conservative town with a very liberal counter culture hidden just beneath the surface. I belong to niether element really. I get along with the establishment, I can function well with in it, but I don't really like it. I really like the antithesis of it either. I feel that they have both missed some important points.

I moved up here about eight years ago to attend the university that sits on the hill over looking the town. Utah State University. I studied music the first three and a half years I was here, then waffling on what sort of music degree I should get, I changed my emphasis from education to composition and picked up a second major in philosophy my fourth year, just to be well rounded. It was about this time that I was introduced to some folks who have become very dear friends to me, they know who they are. They thrust me into deeper artistic endeavors called theatre, which I love now also.

Well as happens with so many people I didn't focus enough on school when I had the opportunity and ran out of money. I could still get non-deferment loans, but that would just make my situation worse than it already is. I quit school, took two jobs, got some equipment that I needed to help pursue my music. Then situations changed and I found myself poorer than I was before struggling. I'm still struggling, but I'm surviving.

I work at a bookstore now; Books of Yesterday. We are a bookstore that deals with: out of print books, dealers closeout books, antiquarian books, and well used books. Our prices range from a couple bucks for a really thrashed copy of your run of the mill paper back to $2000 for a first edition copy of Earnest Hemingways "For Whom the Bells Toll". The owner is an admitted excentric. He also owns a new bookstore up here called the Book Table, several apartment complexes and an art store. He was also the owner and operater of the best jewelery store in Logan, now his sons run it. We get along fine. He's very religious, I'm very non-religious. You would think there would be friction there, but there isn't really.
My day consist of pricing books, sorting books, helping customers, and putting books away. We take books in at the store, and right now with the first two activities that I do on the job, I'd say my job security is pretty good. There is a pile of books leaping up the back stair case at us now that is two feet deep and taller than I am (I am 6'1") by about a foot and a half to two feet. This monstrousity as I like to call it just keeps growing. Like the blob, it's gotten out of control. When we first started the pile there five months ago, I would have never imagined that it would have taken off like it has. It's out grown the first pile we made behind the counter downstairs. The owner of course has seen to it that we will at least have something of an inventory for a while.

So along aside the bookstore I do temp work at a dairy plant called Gossner's. They make cheese there too. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if all of you who know me have seen the cheese. Well, there is a milk plant there, and thats where I work when I go out there. I've never worked on the cheese side of the facility, not even in the same building. Along with milk, Gossner's makes chicken and beef broth for Swanson (a subsidiary of Cambell's Soup), Sunkist juice containers (I'm sure you all remember those from elementry school) Hershey's Chocolate Drink, Hershey's Shake and other delectable Hershey's products, and a handful of other things they only run about once a month. The work isn't terrible, but it is boring and monotonous. I have books, at least, to keep me company at the bookstore. I temp there to make a little extra cash, and hopefully in the spring I'll be able to go back to school and finish the two semester's I have left.

Well that's a little biographic up date... I hope you all have a merry happy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home