Monday, January 26, 2004

So I'm working with books on Judaism at the store. Quite interesting. It's from the Jews, or the Israelites where three of the most predominant religions stem. Three branches, and the Jews are at the root. The first to branch off, at least according to the religion that branched off of it, was Islam. Islam however was the last of the three religions to be founded, by what is believed to be the a branch of people who are the offspring of Abrahams son Ismael. The Christians, which came second, believe to be following the true religion of God, reformed on earth, a new message of good new, or Gospel, for all peoples. Christianity was originally a Jewish sect, and for several decades after Christs death, his followers were primarily Jewish. Very little of what is practiced today as Christianity resembles how the first Christians practiced. What we now know as Christianity comes from several sources: first and formost, Paul the Apostle, whom the Jews feel is the one who made the greatest changes to the actual teachings of Christ. There is a view point that if you take the quotations of the Old Testament and translate them into the orignal Hebrew instead of taking the Greek translation, alot of the message of Christianity is changed. I don't know, I don't speak either Greek or Hebrew.

There is a certain, I must strangley admit, comfort in Judaism. I think many of the trully ancient, of at least more intact ancient religions have it. There is also an honest unrefinement, and ritualistic nature about that I find overall attractive. Now this isn't to say that I am or would consider becoming a jew, I don't have the lineage for it firstly, nor the substatial belief or faith structure that would be required to become one. But I do find it absolutely fascinating. Just as I find many of the eastern religions fascinating: Taoism, Buddism and Hinduism.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home