Monday, September 15, 2003

Aaron Copland's Symphony #3. It's exquisite. Beautiful. Momentous. I love it. I've listened to it about once a day for the past week and a half. We studied it in a composition class about three, or four years ago. I didn't appreciate back then. Oh I liked it, but I didn't appreciate it. It is in my opinion the first truly american symphony written in a traditional european style. I'm not going to explain that if you don't understand. You need to hear it. Most of you have heard part of it, from the fourth movement: Fanfare for the Common Man. Probably one of the most well known piece of symphonic music her in the U.S. Everybodies heard it. It is an inspiring bit of music. The symphony itself revolves around that fanfare. It's ingenious how Copland does it. I encourage all of you to go out and find it, download it, just listen to it. You may understad then.

Then again you may not, and I might just be blowing smoke up your ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home