Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Her Laugh and Smile.

*I had thought I had this on the blog, it appears that I did not. I am rectifying that. This is about my Aunt Sharon and was originally written on July 17th, 2014*

I remember being afraid of Aunt Sharon when I was very little. I'm still, to do this day, not sure why. I think it may be simply because she wasn't inclined to take any guff, and I was a precocious child at times, well very talkative (I still am). Perhaps it's because I knew that she would get after me if I got an outline (and justifiably so). 

I remember going with dad to see Aunt Sharon now and then, she'd be in her kitchen, which reminded me of grandma Shaw's kitchen, the deep rich smell of coffee in the air. Aunt Sharon would sit in her chair smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee with dad while they bantered back and forth. My father would make some jibe at her, and her eyes would narrow for a moment before she filled the room with laughter. Her laugh was deep and hearty. Genuine. It would bring a smile to your face just to hear it, if not beg you to join in, laughing with her. 

I remember her and grandma playing cards. I'm not sure, but I suspect she enjoyed cards as much or more than grandma did. A few times they let me join in. There was a competitive razzing that went back and forth between the two of them. I saw the razzing with my father and uncle A.D.. It must be hereditary. She always had a twinkle in her eye. She enjoyed the game almost as much as she enjoyed the time spent with those playing the game. 

I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't seen Aunt Sharon in quite some time. She has been in my thoughts of late though, and I had intended to see her in the next few weeks. But the intention is not action and missed opportunities can never be won back. I have only myself to blame for that. 

I keep her in my memories now, next to mom and dad, aunt Evelyn, grandma Shaw and grandma Jennie, and all the friends and family that are no longer here. I'd like to remember her laugh and her smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home